Thursday, September 3, 2009

I thought I'd share a moment that helped inspire this blog. A few months ago in our drop-in baby sign language class, Violet approached the teacher holding a tractor as if asking her to tell her about it. The teacher stopped her lesson and showed Violet how to sign tractor before going back to her lesson and sharing with the other mothers: "This is what we call a teachable moment". 

I think it's natural for parents and caregivers to respond to children's interests but I also think there are times that we're just too busy with life and getting through each day. This blog is meant to be my inspiration to document and become more attuned to teachable moments and to fulfill those opportunities for learning.

“And so we discovered that education is not something which the teacher does, but that it is a natural process which develops spontaneously in the human being.” ~ Maria Montessori

No comments:

Post a Comment